Monday, September 2, 2013

Livin La Vida Loca College Style :D

First two emails home from college...I'm lovin' life right now.
 
 
So, I wasn't going to write you this week...But I'll just quickly say that college is the best thing ever. And I haven't even started yet. Every moment of every day is an adventure no matter who I'm with. I think the best part is that I know absolutely no one. I just start talking to random people and then 30 minutes later I'm driving with them off to the lake to swim and go off rope swings. It's awesome. There's only been people here since wednesday and I've already played a drinking game, gone to the lake, multiple mormon parties, multiple movie parties, accapella jam sessions, singing at nursing homes....I could go on and on. I think I like thatcher so much because there's absolutely nothing to do here. It's so fantastic. Everyone here is super creative and does the craziest fun random things, it's right up my alley. Yesterday I was going to go catch ducks with some friends and then sneak them into some other friend's apartments :P I mean...who thinks of this kind of stuff? It's fantastic :D I feel like if I had grown up in thatcher I'd be super crazy fun and creative like the people here. I think I'm going to start asking people what they do for fun more. I always get awesome responses and then I ask to go with them next time. Like two of my friends go kneeboarding in the canal being pulled by a tractor. Another friend just painted golf balls with glow in the dark paint and then launched them off a mountain...just other crazy fun stuff like that. I guess there is normal stuff too. There's $2 bowling on tuesdays...soccer on wednesday, volley ball on fridays, ultimate frisbee on tuesdays and thursdays. Swing dancing is going to start up soon. I'm going to see if I can find the parkour gym tomorrow...everything about this place is like a dream come true. It's like someone took all my favorite activities and talents and made a school just for me. Like seriously...it's ridiculous. The large amounts of attractive lds women isn't too bad either. Oh and so you guys know I think my schedule as of now is psychology, intro to theater (with like...every friend I've met :D). Vocal Show Ensemble (they're the ones that do choreography) if I can make it. First aid/cpr. Lab Ecology (I've heard the teacher is crazy fun). Principles of Leadership institute class, a mission prep institute class,and a devotional and seminar class. Pretty much I'm fitting as many institute classes and as many choir classes as I can. I REAAALLY would like to be in "The guys" It's a 7 man accapella group...but 5 of the 7 are returning and they already have a beatboxer...so my chances aren't too good. I want to make accapella, multiple people have told me that class was the best spiritual experience they've ever had from a class. I'm pretty sure I can make this one...just need to work on site reading. Then there's men's choir...they do really really fun songs and just have a good time. I might join in on that just for fun. I can't do it every day but I could come a few days a week which is good enough if you're already a decent singer. I'm also working 6 hours at the "fish bowl" every week, and then doing other various events for the A team.
I've just got to rant about how awesome of a job this is for a second...
Pretty much I'm getting paid to make friends. That's about it. They told me to go meet as many people as you can, make them feel welcome, like they have a friend, make sure they don't have any questions and just be a friendly presence on campus so that they can come to you for anything they might need. It's awesome. I love helping people, I love meeting people, and I love talking to people...and I'm getting paid. It's flippin legit. My roomates are all super confused how I know everyone, since I've met probably around 150-200 people on an individual basis. Just if I could remember names...it kinda stinks. Oh yah training for my job was super fun too. We got the results from the personality test that we took along with our application to work there. I was one of 4 yellows. Yellows are the social butterfly talkative party animal category, I also had quite a bit of red, which is the stubborn leaderly one. That was really fun, because then we looked at each colors strengths and weaknesses...and it was creepily accurate. Here's a list of some of the strengths and weaknesses I wrote down. They all came from yellow and red. Strengths: strong leader, creative in crisis, gives more of self than required, high achiever, very optimistic, adventurous and daring, charismatic, quick thinking. That's it for positive, "Limitations" Impatient, sets unrealistic goals, overextends self, competitive, exaggerate, sarcastic, poor concentration. The whole training was just super fun. They only hired super cool leaderlly fun people, and so I'm super lucky to be able to in the same group with all of them. Hopefully this email isn't too cocky, I've really got to get to bed...I haven't slept much at all since I've been here. Love you all
 
Bye :) <3 Bryce
 
Update: First week of College is now past, and it was better than I could ever imagine. I made GUYZ! The 7 man Accapella group, and even beat out the guy who was bass last year for it! I’m pretty sure the only reason I made it was because I prayed for it so much...I fasted and prayed that I’d make this group, but then when I got here I saw how good they were and then I kinda lost hope and was content to just make acapella, I even scribbled out my check mark on the application of which choirs I was trying out for, just because I thought I had no chance...but I still made it somehow. It’s really scary, because everyone in the group is ridiculously good, and I’m just...good. Dr. Bishop assigned me like...6 or 7 solos already too, and I’ve never sang a solo before...so yah...it’s just kinda scary. I’ll probably be spending alot of time in the practice room this weekend.
Other news, my phone screen cracked pretty badly, I have to turn the screen alot so that I can read stuff under the cracks. I was using it as my alarm, and I was trying really hard to get it on the first ring so that I wouldn’t wake my roomates up...So anyways I lunged for it off my desk, turned it off and then it slipped out of my hands. It’s not unusable though, I’ll still get by.
I sang in a quartet at devotional last tuesday. One of the guys who was with us at the nursing home asked me to sing with him. It was really fun, we sang a really intense version of come thou fount, so now everyone knows I can sing which is good and bad, I just hope I don’t get asked to put together any musical numbers.
I didn’t make company, which is a relief, I don’t really need any more classes, and memorizing dances, is definitely my weak point. The auditions were fun though, we had a singing audition, which I rocked at, and then we had a 3 hour dance audition, which I actually did pretty good at, there was 6 basses trying out, and all of them were in company last year except me and one other kid, who’s in guyz with me, and he was a professional dancer...so yah...I really had no chance.
I went to the temple twice this week that was fun. I think I’m going to try and go once a week. Does anyone have any family names left that I can do? How do I find family names?
This week I’ve tried to slow down on my party going, and I’ve attempted to get more sleep. It’s sorta working...I’ve turned down 007, a river bonfire, movies, basketball, and volley ball, all in the name of sleep, and yet I’m still super tired.
I was late for guyz yesterday. my phone apparently wasn’t plugged into the charger all the way, and so it died during the night...and thus didn’t wake me up. I woke up when the teacher called me at 7, I was lucky I woke up actually, my phone was on silent, so it only buzzed. I put on a shirt and flip flops and drove over there, and made it at 7:05, which I think was pretty good. Although Dr.Bishop has been known to kick members out of the group if they’re late...so it was a pretty scary experience. I’m going to set up my real alarm clock this week, I just hope my roommates will sleep through it.
Since I’m not in men’s or company, I only have 18 credits. I’m also not taking my principles of leadership anymore, we are trying to schedule practice times during the day for guyz, so we don’t have to meet at 7 everyday.
We ran out of toilet paper on monday..I was too busy to go to the store (I had auditions tuesday) and my roommates are pretty much worthless, so I ended up stealing a roll from the high tech center. I finally did buy some yesterday, so I might go back over there and put an extra roll in. The thing is, there was just an extra roll, sitting on top of the dispenser, like god was providing for my needs as they came, so I decided to count it as a tender mercy and not as one of satan's temptations, even though I felt pretty guilty taking it. I think I’ll go put one of my rolls on top, just so I don’t feel guilty about stealing. :P
I’ve also realized after being here for a while, that cooking is ridiculously easy when you’re not picky and only cooking for one. Like most of my meals include me throwing random stuff in the rice cooker and seeing what happens. Which has worked ok, nothing really tastes good...but it doesn’t taste too bad either. Yesterday for lunch I just cut a watermelon in half and ate it out with a spoon, it was so simple it was amazing.
Oh I got a job as a soccer referee for a local ref league yesterday. So if you could bring up my equipment that’d be nice. I’m not sure how much I’ll need, they give me a jersey and a whistle, but I’d rather use my stuff if I have the option.
Country swing dancing starts this wednesday, I showed off some swing dancing at a YSA dance last night, so I already have a line of girls wanting me to teach them :P I asked one if she’d trust me to do lifts and she said lifts were her favorite part of swing dancing :D So Maybe I’ll be able to practice some of the fun stuff :D
Still haven’t done my laundry yet. I’m going to see how long I can last. I haven’t reused any clothes besides pants, and I’ve made it 2 weeks.
Anyways I’m having a fantastic time down here! It’s honestly more like a vacation than anything. Hope everyone is doing well,
see ya later :)
Mom, you can forward one or both of these emails, I guess they don’t sound that cocky, they’re just not terribly interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment